A bitcoin research collective
Fourteen years ago, the Bitcoin network was launched by its pseudonymous creator. It promised a revolution in how money works. Here at last, some thought, was an inclusive digital system for storing and transferring value -- a system that was inflation-proof, censorship-resistant, and independent of any oligarchic banking cartel. Bitcoin has since spawned thousands of cryptocurrencies, and they command coverage in both popular media and technical research by computer scientists, economists, and lawyers.
The goal of this research collective is to apply the tools of philosophy, politics, and economics to understand and evaluate the cryptocurrency phenomenon in an integrated way. We favor specifics over generalities and focus on the case of the oldest, most valued, and most well-known cryptocurrency -- Bitcoin. We are:
We publish our work in a range of academic and popular venues. Some recent writing, whether published or in draft includes:
- Resistance Money: A Philosophical Case for Bitcoin (book project; ABC)
- What is Bitcoin? (Inquiry; C)
- Money Without State (Philosophy Compass, ABC)
- The Moral Landscape of Monetary Design (Philosophy Compass, ABC)
- Why Bitcoin Needs Philosophy (CoinDesk; ABC)
- Bitcoin and Financial Injustice (Institute of Art and Ideas; B) [PDF] [archive]
- Another Way to Think About Bitcoin's Value (Bitcoin Magazine; B)
- A Sound Finance Manifesto (Atomic Finance; C)
- An Orange New Deal [German translation here] (Bitcoin Magazine; AB)
- Hard Forks Are Fan Fiction (CoinDesk; B)
- Electronic Coins (Cryptoeconomic Systems; C)
- Greening Bitcoin With Incentive Offsets (A, with T. Cross)
- Mine Your Values (CoinDesk; A, with T. Cross)
- Governments should invest in the bitcoin network (Newsweek, AB)
- Bitcoin Behind the Veil (BTC Times, C)
- Bitcoin is for Anyone, Left or Right (USA Today, ABC) [PDF] [archive]
- The U.S. Needs Digital Cash, not Digital Money (Barron's; A, with W. Luther)
- Why Privacy Matters for Digital Money (RealClearPolicy; A, with W. Luther)
- Carbon neutral bitcoin adoption for nation states (Financial Cryptography and Data Security; A, with T. Cross) [video presentation]
- Bitcoin stands apart (CoinTelegraph; ABC)
- Neutral Money (Bitcoin Policy Institute; AC)
- Bitcoin is King (Cryptocurrency Concepts, Technology, and Applications; edited volume, AC)
- Hard on Bitcoin, Soft on Crypto Crime: A Case Study of the New York Times (Bitcoin Policy Institute; B)
- Worldcoin isn’t as bad as it sounds: It’s worse (Blockworks; A, with N. Almond)
- What Satoshi Did (for The Satoshi Papers; AC)
- Digital Ontology (special issue of Australasian Philosophical Review; edited by AB)
- Bitcoin Doesn’t Care About Your Politics (podcast; ABC)
- What is Bitcoin? (podcast, C)
- The Philosophy of Bitcoin (podcast; C)
- Philosophy and Bitcoin (podcast; C)
- Bitcoin and the Philosophers (podcast; BC)
- Bitcoin and Epistemic Trespassing (podcast; B)
- Bitcoin: Is it Money and Is it Good? (podcast; AB)
- An Introduction to Bitcoin (introductory video for Wyoming public schools; B)
- How Bitcoin can Help the Poor (B)
- The Metaphysics of Bitcoin (C)
- Why Governments Should Invest in Bitcoin Infrastructure (reading of "Orange New Deal; AB)
- Bitcoin’s promise of financial freedom (interview; A)
- How Bitcoin Can Help Break Cycles of Poverty (reading of "Bitcoin and Financial Injustice"; B)
- Bitcoin's Value (reading of "Another Way to Think About Bitcoin's Value"; B)
- Using Philosophy to Answer the Big Questions about Bitcoin (podcast; B)
- What Money Is, How Much is Enough, and Bitcoin (podcast; A)
- Foundations of Bitcoin: Original Intent, Scaling, and Lightning (podcast; A)
- Bitcoin, MMT, and the Progressive Case for Bitcoin (podcast; B)
- Philosophy of Stateless Money (podcast; B)
- Bitcoin, Philosophy and Greening Bitcoin with Incentive Offsets
(podcast; A, with T. Cross)
- Bitcoin Behind the Veil (podcast; C)
- Bitcoin is Not a Right-Wing Plot (radio interview; B)
- Bitcoin Behind the Veil (reading of "Bitcoin Behind the Veil"; C)
- The Bitcoin FAQ (podcast, B) Transcript here.
- Bitcoin Alchemy (academic lecture; A; slides)
- Bitcoin Behind the Veil (podcast, C) Video here.
- Truth & The Multiverse (podcast, C)
- Where Bitcoin Fits (academic lecture, B)
- The Philosophy of Money (podcast, A) Video here.
- Philosophy prof takes on crypto effect, teaches fitting money into life (article, A)
- Panel Discussion at Bitcoin Policy Summit: What Makes Bitcoin Special (video, ABC; full event here)
- A Philosophical Case for Bitcoin (podcast, B) Video here.
- Trust and Bitcoin (podcast, A).
- Bitocin as Resistance Money (podcast, A).
Why ‘Resistance Money’?
One theme in our research is that Bitcoin is a check against the authority and overreach of corporations, states, and anyone else who would serve as an intermediary between people and their money. Above all, it offers a way to elude and resist the interlocking and increasingly tight gears of institutions both private and public.
The authors regularly use bitcoin and fiat currencies, including USD and SGD. Last updated: 27 July 2023.